As part of Denver Safe Routes to School, WalkDenver is coordinating walk audits to assess infrastructure and the built environment around four schools: Munroe Elementary, Smith Elementary, Swansea Elementary, and Valverde Elementary. For this effort we need volunteers to help collect data about the pedestrian environment using the WALKscope mobile tool. Volunteers must participate in ONE of the three training sessions listed below, and a debrief session on the morning of Saturday, November 21. Working in teams of two, volunteers will collect the data on their own time during October and November. The total time commitment, including the training, debrief, and data collection is about six hours.
Training Session Dates (Each volunteer must attend one session)
- 9 – 11 am, Saturday Oct 24, at the Alliance Center, 1536 Wynkoop
- 6 – 7:30 pm, Tuesday Nov 3, at Swansea Elementary, 4650 Columbine St
- 6 – 7:30 pm, Thursday Nov 5, at the BuCu West Development Association, 4200 Morrison Rd #5
PERKS of volunteering include:
- Free food at the training and debrief
- Free WalkDenver t-shirt
- An incentive for completing the data collection assignment, such as a gift certificate to a local business
- Help make walking the safe and easy option for people of ALL ages
- be comfortable using mobile technologies;
- have access to a relatively recent model smart phone or tablet that can access the internet while out in the field;
- be physically capable of walking a mile or further; and
- be comfortable walking around and observing a variety of neighborhood types.