“Art on the Ave” Call to Artists
**Submissions closed on May 14th.**
See the list of the selected artists HERE
See photos of the artists at work HERE
The People’s Choice awards closed July 10 after nearly 900 people voted! Make sure to get your tickets for the I Walk Colfax gala to see all of the amazing artwork and find out who won.
Ever wish you could decorate Colfax Avenue with your artwork? Now you have an opportunity to! As part of the 2nd Annual I Walk Colfax Gala on July 14, WalkDenver and the Colfax Business Improvement District (CBID) are sponsoring the “Art on the Ave” street art contest!
- Artists’ work will be on view for 1 year. These artists will also be able to attend the I Walk Colfax Gala 7/14/16.
- (3) People’s choice winners will be featured at the Gala and on social media. Winners will receive cash prizes: $200 for first place, $100 for second place, and $50 for third place.
The Colfax Business Improvement District (CBID) and WalkDenver present one of our first official projects that incorporates street art on Colfax Avenue. The City and County of Denver and the CBID have agreed to let artists paint 14 utility boxes along Colfax. Selected artists will create a destination for people, especially pedestrians, to encounter along this historical street. Both emerging and professional artists are invited to submit for the project that will be on display for 1 year.
Jurors will include Gosia Kung, Founder and Executive Director of WalkDenver; Connor Serr, Co-Curator of Abend Gallery; and Chelsea Cornelius, Director of Abend Gallery. The fourteen artists selected will have until the end of June to create their piece, and all artists will be invited to add something to the collaborative pieces that will be on view at the Gala.
The public will be able to vote for their favorites and the top three picked will be featured at the Gala. The Gala will be held at Abend Gallery on July 14th from 6pm to 9pm.
- Submission Deadline: 5/14/16
- Entry Fee: Non-refundable $10 per submission either by individual or group
- Email Notifications to Selected Artists: 5/18/16
- Project Dates: 5/18/16-5/1/17
Criteria and Rules of Eligibility:
- Open to Colorado artists that are able to travel to Denver for the project. Artists must be available to participate sometime between 5/8/16 and 6/30/16. In addition, they must be able to visit Denver if any retouches are needed throughout the year.
- Individual artists or artist groups may submit up to five images in all themes that are PG-13 or lower in nature. Images should include previous works and a possible sketch for the project. Images should be high res (no larger than 2MB) at 300dpi.
- Open to all genres and media that can be applied to the utility box that doesn’t impede the City and County’s access.
For any additional questions or clarifications please contact Chelsea Cornelius at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-355-0950.
To submit your work: